Friday, August 21, 2009

A new approach

I need a job and I need one yesterday. I have had a few good interviews since I began the search but nothing that has "produced fruit" yet. They say the hardest thing about getting a job is getting your foot in the door and so far that is proving true. It seems like getting ahead these days is all about who you know.

Currently, my efforts have primarily focused on job searching but networking is a more important task for job seekers. This bothers me because when someone says "networking" I hear "patronage" and "nepotism". In my perfect world merit would weigh heavier in employers minds than anything else. Reality sucks.

I know I need to network more but I am not sure how. I usually do enough sucking up at job fairs to get a few email contacts but I have bled those sources dry and I am sure that I am not the only one sycophantically appealing to these employers. The terse, unsympathetic email rejections I get from contacts is probably indicative of someone fed up seeing dozens of job pleas in their inbox.There has to be something real out here. I want networking opportunities that don't include a cock fight to see who can kiss the most ass of people who don't want their ass kissed.

I have contacted the Georgia Tech Alumni Association and there are a lot of local graduates in this area. I am going to explore that path a little bit more and see where it leads. It is probably a resource I should have tapped a long time ago.

Movies
I saw Kite Runner for the first time tonight and it was a great movie. I remember not being in the mood to see it when it was initially released but I tell you what, that movie was a refreshing break from the mega-budget blockbuster epics that dominate summer cinema.

I guess that experience should be enough to motivate me to see the acclaimed Inglorious Basterds which I am not in the mood to see.



No comments: