Friday, September 4, 2009

Movies that matter

My father had a hard time dealing with some of his coworkers today. It is enfuriating to me that someone so selfless and compassionate could be pushed to the edge as he was. My father handled the situation well but I know it bothered him. He came home a little discouraged and my mother and I tried to cheer him up.

I went to Best Buy today and starred at all the cool gadgets and toys I can't afford. I want a job so bad. School starts next week in Fairfax so I should have a stable income coming in then. I saw that WOW with The Burning Crusade was only 50 bucks!

Movies
The problem with a movie like Schindler's List is that every other movie you see after it seems self-indulgent and insignificant. I watched the movie tonight knowing that afterwards I wouldn't be in the mood to do anything but try and completely grasp the bittersweet triumph of Schindler's compassion and the indomitable spirit of the Jewish people.

What always moves me in Schindler's List is the profound dichotomy of the human condition as it pertains to our capacity to do good or evil, to destroy or to preserve.

One theme I caught this time that I didn't focus on other times I watched the movie was the problem of measuring the value of life. Frequently, the audience through our proxy Oscar, are moved to measure the worth of the Jews that work for him. Oscar is asked a few times "What are they worth to you?" In order to preserve life he is forced to value life at far more than the rest of the world values life. At the end he realizes that life has no finite value, life is worth more than everything.


No comments: