Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rubik's cube solve

I got a webcam recently and decided that the first video I would upload online would be of me solving a rubik's cube. I know the lighting is bad and that it is out of focus but this was the first take. I solve it in a little over a minute. I will post a video again when I can solve it in under a minute.


I may start recording my blog entries so that you guys see my ugly mug when I am ranting about the various indiscretions of the GOP. I got a job interview with Prince William County Public Schools about a teachers assistant job with special education middle school students. The interview is tomorrow and I am praying that I will get it. It will be consistent pay and another bit of work experience that I can put on my resume. In due time I will be able to save up enough money to go back to school. Then maybe I can get a job doing real engineering work. There are a lot of "ifs" in the plan but it is the only thing I got going right now.

Politics
President Obama has is speaking in front of a joint session of Congress tonight to try and redefine the health care debate. The big question is how strongly he is going to show support for the public option. Early word on the street is that the president would be fine with a bill that did not have a public option as long as the bill made health care affordable for every American.

Any health care bill without a public option will be a tough sell to me and many others who believe the public option is the only way to reign in the insurance companies. The GOP and the insurance industry have done a fabulous job framing the public option as a government take over of health care. This of course is contrary to the facts however many people have a stake in maintaining the status quo and the GOP believe that failure on health care could be Obama's "waterloo."

Many have questioned Obama's leadership because he has been unable to unify the Democrats and because the GOP and the health care industry have been able to define the debate. The town halls he held didn't have the effect he wanted in fact he came off as passive and inconclusive. Of course the media only covered the most disorderly town halls and this magnified the illusion of wide spread opposition to the public option.

This is an opportunity for the president to be clear and passionate about health care and the public option. This is his last chance to turn the tides in the debate over the public option. He needs to bare his teeth and reign in the blue dogs and moderate Democrats that have been wavering. Lets pray he is able to seize the moment and bring robust health care reform to the US.


No comments: